Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Potty Time!

When I found out I was pregnant with baby #3 one of the first things I thought about was the possibility of having three children in diapers at the same time. We are a cloth diapering family, so the cost of three in diapers isn't a huge issue, it's more the laundry and time consumed washing diapers. 

So, about a month ago I took a trip to Babies R Us and got potties. I bought the Baby Bjorn ones that have a high back as I read they were easy to get on and off of and good for potty training girls. 

The first day I brought them home they were obsessed. I had them sitting on them and then Clara stood up and started to pee. Luckily my mom was nearby and grabbed her and put her on the potty to finish the job. We rewarded her with a treat for her success. She was quite pleased with herself. That night she also peed on the potty before her bath. 

We started by just getting the girls to sit on them. I was pleased with any amount of time they would sit on them. Lucy will sit for about 3 seconds and get up. Whether she spends a lot of time sitting or not we praise her. Really, my plan was just to get them used to them and hopefully sitting on them, but I wasn't really intending to potty train them. They're only 20 months old. 

I hadn't really been pushing the potties and only had them sitting on them before their bath at night (we only have one set of potties that was residing in the upstairs bathroom). Well, the past five nights Clara has successfully peed on the potty before her bath. As she was more and more consistent, I decided to try her during the day. Well, in the past two days Clara has peed almost every time I put her on the potty. She's kept a mainly dry diaper during the day. She even pooped on the potty over the weekend. 

She's not telling me she needs to go or showing any signs of knowing. She just pees pretty much every time I put her on the potty. She's been getting rewarded with peanut butter M & M's and she thinks it's pretty great. I'm seriously so proud of my girl! 

Lucy is still just sitting for short spurts and occasionally requesting a treat after she does. I might take her a little longer to get it, but either way I'm thrilled she'll willingly sit on it. I'm so proud of the progress my girls are making, especially my peeing superstar Clara!!  

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is fantastic! Great job girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Stella was potty trained (awake, not sleep) by 19 months with very little effort - it's definitely possible :) My 16 month old son is nowhere near it though. Ha!

    ReplyDelete